Sunday, September 10
2:30 to 4:30 pm
The eighth NDP leadership debate is on for 2:30 pm on Sunday, September 10. Watch it with the Toronto–Danforth NDP riding association at Gabby’s at 729 Danforth.
Please RSVP as space is limited (the room has a 40-person capacity). Also, plan to arrive at 2:00 pm so we’re all settled in to watch and listen to our candidate’s final debate. See you there (and don’t forget to RSVP).
Friday, June 16 – 7:30 pm
Urban Indigenous Education Centre
(on the site of the former Eastern Commerce Collegiate)
16 Phin Avenue (one block south of the Donlands Subway Station)
In towns throughout Ontario, there are startling reminders of the colonization of Indigenous territories and the displacement of First Nations people.
Anishinaabe comedian and activist Ryan McMahon takes us to his hometown of Fort Frances and down its main drag, which is called Colonization Road. Similar streets have similar names in towns and cities across the province, direct reminders of the Public Lands Act of 1853 and its severe impact on First Nations, their treaties and their land in the name of “Canadian settlement.” On his journey through Ontario, McMahon explores the history of these roads, meets with settlers in solidarity and raises significant questions about “reconciliation” and what it means to “decolonize.”
Welcome by Tasha Smith, Aboriginal Education Centre
Followed by a discussion with:
Michelle St. John, Filmmaker
RSVP on Facebook
Our MP Julie Dabrusin and the Liberals promised 2015 to be the last unfair election. On Wednesday, Toronto-Danforth, along with the rest of Canada, learned it was all just a lie.
Ms. Dabrusin released a statement yesterday, admitting this key election promise was broken. She refused to apologize, however, for cynically deceiving the people of Toronto-Danforth.
Please read our open letter to Ms. Dabrusin and share widely. Once you are done, open your email, pick up your phone and tell Julie Dabrusin and the Liberals to keep their word and make every vote count.
1180 Danforth Ave Toronto, ON M4J 1M3
Rest assured we will be holding Julie Dabrusin and the Liberals to account for breaking their commitment to Toronto-Danforth.
#electoralreform #TorDan #cdnpoli #ERRE #LPC
The Riding Association will be holding a Resolution and Delegate Selection Meeting for the upcoming New Democratic Party of Ontario Convention being held in Toronto, April 21 – 23, 2017.
Sunday, March 5th, 2017
1:30 – 4:00 p.m. Registration at 1:15 p.m.
Ralph Thornton Centre
765 Queen Street East 3rd Floor
- Anyone wishing to propose a resolution should submit it by Sunday, February 26th. See reverse for details.
- If you would like to be a delegate but can’t make it to the meeting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the meeting and your name will be put forward.
- There will be gender parity in the selection of delegates to convention
- Only members in good standing may be elected as delegates (To be considered in good standing, a delegate’s membership fees must be paid for 2017.)
- Download the flyer for more details.
All Toronto–Danforth NDP party members in good standing* are welcome to attend the Riding Association Annual General Meeting being held at the Ralph Thornton Centre (Auditorium, 2nd Floor) at 765 Queen Street East (East of Broadview Avenue). We hope to see you there!
Saturday, February 11, 2017
1:30 to 3:45 p.m. (Registration at 1:00 p.m.)
Ralph Thornton Centre (Auditorium, 2nd Floor)
765 Queen Street East (East of Broadview Avenue)
- Get an update from our elected representatives
- Elect a new Federal/Provincial riding association executive
- Find out how you can get more involved with the NDP locally
- If you have childcare or accessibility needs, please let us know in advance so that we can make the appropriate arrangements.
Download the flyer for more information.
RSVP on Facebook.
* Note, if your membership has lapsed, you can renew your membership for 2017 before the meeting.
Craig Scott testified September 1 before the Special Committee on Electoral Reform. The testimony is available to view online. In addition to the testimony, Craig submitted a written follow-up to the committee that can be read here.
In 2013, Craig went on a country-wide tour on Electoral Reform with Elizabeth May and Stéphane Dion and has written extensively on improving Canada’s electoral system.
There are Two Town Hall Meetings on Electoral Reform this week that everyone is strongly encourage to attend:
- Toronto-Danforth Town Hall – Wednesday, Sept. 14, 6:30 to 8:30 PM, Calvary Church, 746 Pape Avenue
- Nathan Cullen leads an NDP Town Hall, Sunday, Sept. 18, 2 – 4 PM, Hart House – Music Room, University of Toronto, 7 Hart House Circle
Join Andrea Horwath and friends at Danforth/Coxwell Public Library for a neighbourhood meeting to share your thoughts and concerns about the privatization of Hydro One.
On March 01, 2016 at 6:30pm – 9:30pm, Find out about the government’s plans to privatize Hydro One. Learn more about how privatization affects you, and how together we can stop it.